The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Thursday, June 13, 2013

My son has been busy . . .

So, our 14YO daughter is away this week on her 8th-grade class trip to Washington, D.C. She left early Monday morning and returns late Friday night. Our 10YO son has been kind of lost without her, so he's been asking to make cards with me. I'm tickled pink! It's keeping him busy (and taking his mind off his sister's absence) and giving us some fun stuff to do together.

We've been checking the daily challenge at SplitcoastStampers each morning and talking about what he'd like to make for it while we eat breakfast. And then if there's time, we'll start pulling out supplies before he heads off to school, and then he finishes up his project after school. He's doing a great job with everything! I have him cut and score his card bases (great math practice, as he needs to figure out where the halfway point is). And he's cut his panels and mats, too, figuring out the right sizes and margins along the way. He's a pro at stamping and punching, too!

I also showed him how to color with my Copic markers, which he loves! I'm not setting him loose on his own, mind you (they are just too expensive for that!), but sitting with him and giving him guidance on where to color light and dark, and showing him how to blend. The tendency of alcohol inks to bleed throws him off a bit, but he's doing a fabulous job.

He has been having soooooooooo much fun stamping with my DeNami stamps this week. I thought you might enjoy seeing what he's made so far:


A thank-you note for his band teacher (their last band practice will be tomorrow, so he'll hand-deliver his card with his hand-written message inside.) He made this for the SCS color challenge to use Old Olive, Pear Pizzazz, and Daffodil Delight. The band stamp is an old one from Inkadinkadoo, and the rest are from DeNami Design: Just a Note from All Occasion Sentiments set and Mini Music Notes. We also used some Musical Notes Washi Tape from DeNami.
 

A Father's Day card for his daddy! He made this for this week's SCS sketch challenge.  He used Business Chickie, Computer Chickie, and Happy Father's Day cling stamp from DeNami.


This morning he made a thank-you card for one of his teachers (his regular 4th grade teacher is out on maternity leave right now, so this one is for his long-term substitute that his class is finishing out the year with.) He made this for this week's SCS ways to use it challenge, which is to make a one-layer card. My son LOVES using my Stamp-a-majig! The frame is from an old Stampin' Up set (Sweet Dreams). He also used Back to School Chickie and Brushed Thank You stamps from DeNami.

For my son, part of the fun of making these cards has been uploading them to his account on Splitcoast and seeing if anyone makes any comments. He's having a blast being part of the stamping community there!

Well, that's all for now--thanks so much for stopping by today and sharing a little bit of my proud-mama bliss!
Emily

15 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Emily, he has outdone himself!! (PS - can you email me with his user name at Splitcoast so I can leave him some comment love over there?)
I am super impressed (haha, I'm so funny) - no matter how much siblings might feel TOO close at times, being apart is rough...especially when one is off having a really awesome time. I love that you found something to do together to make it easier on him!

Lisa Elton said...

HOLY COW girl sign this boy up for the DeNami DT or even a blog hop, he's done a great job here! I LOVE his adoarable...wait that's not good for a boy huh...COOL Father's Day card. You give him a BIG high five from me. He's a SUPERSTAR stamper!!!

Marisa said...

These are wonderful, Emily!! What a special mother/son time you get to share together too :) Love it!!

Pam said...

How sweet to have crafting time together! Your son did an amazing job!! And I can share his excitement on the commenting, my son always says to 'put this online', it's so cute!! So tell him I love his cards!!

Sue Lelli said...

I really think DeNami should add him to the design team! His cards are all so WONDERFUL!

Greta said...

Oh no--outdone by a 10 yr old! He is amazing, Emily--although he has a pro for a teacher not sure I'd be as good a pupil! The music Washi tape is my favorite element--looks wonderful!

Glenda J said...

So cool! Love that you two are crafting together. He's done a great job!

Darnell said...

So heart-warming, Emily! How wonderful that your son shares your hobby and that he is REALLY talented at it! Your cards aren't too shabby either, Mama!!

Jackie Rockwell said...

Hi Emily, All 3 cards are so cute! That's terrific that your son is creating cards with you. My grandson loves to create cards too.

Martha said...

WOW, your son is one FABULOUS card-maker, Emily! Great job!

Auntie Em said...

Your son's cards are all amazing! I like his CAS style. Each one is so well designed. He is great inspiration to a lot of seasoned stampers.
Thank you for sharing! :)

Colleen Dietrich said...

How cute are these cards?? Legoboy, you did a WONDERFUL job!

I'm glad for your daughter, getting to take her trip to D.C. Our 8th graders travel to the Jersey Shore for a day; that's their 'big trip'. Yours sounds MUCH more exciting!

Larissa Heskett said...

Wow!! Such AMAZING Designs!! Your so. Totaly has an artists eye!! I love all of the cards and can't wait to see more!! Thanks for sharing and have aFabulous Week!! ! ! ;)

~Tammy~ said...

Are you sure the boy is not on the DT? You should let him do a DeNami Hop! How totally awesome that he loves to do this! Sure made me smile and he has some serious talent!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh...so cute!!! love these chickie guys :)