The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Sand-sational StampinB Challenge

We've been working on getting ready for weekend company (arriving tonight), so it's been a jam-packed week so far. The kids have been a huge help with the housecleaning. It's above and beyond what they are normally expected to do, so I told them I'd contribute to their vacation souvenir funds if they pitched in with the extra. It's amazing what a little incentive will do!! I'm actually hearing things like "Mom, can I clean the little windows around the front door?" and "Is it OK if we scrub the toilets?" How can you turn down offers like those? I'm teaching our 8YO to vacuum (not that it's a tricky job or anything, but his 8YO mind doesn't find it intuitive to move the vacuum in an overlapping stripe pattern to cover the entire floor!). So far he is super enthusiastic about vacuuming, and the fact that we have a cool, kinda techie Dyson vac (with some definite 8YO appeal!) doesn't hurt. ;)

I've still got lots to do to get the house ready, and I'm trying to get ready for next week's July Stamp Release for Mark's Finest Papers, too. So this will be short!

Today I'm sharing my card for the new Stampin' B's DT Challenge hosted this week by Anne. Her challenge is to make a beach scene that includes sand, either real or stamped. I was thrilled to have an opportunity to use the new It's a Shore Thing stamp set that I won from The Craft's Meow last month. I stamped the sand hill images directly onto a sheet of cheap sandpaper from a pack that I picked up from Dollar Tree. So, there's my real sand, Anne!! And I'll warn you now, go get your sunglasses. This is a bright one!

I thought I'd enter this over at Moxie Fab World for the Stamp It! Cards Week Challenge--to create a card in which stamping is the predominant element. I'm also entering this in the The Craft's Meow July Card Sketch Challenge. Here's the sketch:
Thanks for dropping by today! Be sure to stop back in tomorrow for my last Blogoversary Celebration post for another chance at some blog candy. (Be sure to check out the Day 1 and Day 2 celebrations for additional chances. You can enter all three drawings through Sunday, July 10.)
Emily

Card Recipe:
Stamps: The Craft's Meow "It's a Shore Thing" set
Paper: various cardstock from The Paper Company, DP from the Target Dollar Spot, sandpaper from Dollar Tree
Ink: Palette L'Amore Red, Versafine Onyx, Palette Reflection Blue
Accessories: SU 3" scalloped circle punch, SU 2.5" circle punch, SU scalloped border punch, CM corner rounder, Prismacolor pencils, brads, baker's twine from The Twinery

20 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

I love the bright! Bring it on :) Great idea to stamp right on the sandpaper - I've used it before as a layer or whatnot, but stamping right on it? Next on the list.
Cracks me up that your kids are getting so into the cleanup - just the oldest has figured out chores=money, so every once in a while he'll go on a chore bender. Still no toilet offers though!

Carol Hurlock said...

Oh Emzi that is so bright and cheerful and filled with summer fun. Makes me want to pack up and go to the beach today instead of work!!! lol The little bakers twine bow is just adorable. What a fun and fabulous card!

pam124 said...

Well my goodness gracious, looky what we have here. Wait - zee sunglasses must be put on first. This is a delightful and fun beach scene card. LOVE that sentiment. Your sandpaper sand was a brilliant idea. You did a terrific job my friend!

Benzi said...

Finally! I don't know what was happening but I couldn't leave a comment for the longest. It's all o.k. now. I love your bright scene, Emily. That is what the beach is about...bright sunny things.
I'm expecting visitors today, too. Some arrive today and some Friday. It will be a fun weekend.

Sounds as if the kids are really pitching in and getting a lot done. That is great!

Oh, and my dil has a degree in Secondary Mathematics Education so I'll have to mention the mathypi to her. ha

Unknown said...

This is so darn cute. Love those bright happy colors. They say summer all over it..
Good Luck with your company.. I am going through the same thing. Darn no kids here to scrub my toilet.. Maybe I could teach my cat!! Hee Hee..

Hugs, Linda

Meg said...

Wowza! You weren't kidding when you said it was bright!! Love the real sand you used--so clever!

It is amazing what monetary incentives will do for chore-doing, isn't it?

Stacy Morgan said...

Vibrant and fun, great summer card. LOL My boys would love to clean the toliets just because its funny. They are still young, ha ha Glad that they are willing to help for a bit of reward, always a great incentive.

Julia Aston said...

The sketch worked wonderfully with your beach stamps Emily! what a bright fun summer card!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

Wonderful sentiment and SANDpaper, Emily. I love your fun and bright colors too. Anytime your kids want to brush up on their cleaning, they can come here too!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Wait, let me take my sunglasses off before I type my comment. ;) THere! So, I see your sandpaper has made a comeback! Yay! I've actually missed your sandpaper, and when I saw what your challenge was, I was a-searching for it. Well done, Miss Emily!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Beautiful use of the supper bright, fun colors!!

Pat said...

Emily, that is so cute! I love the bright colors, and love to use sandpaper now and then, mainly in desert scenes.

I could not get into most of your posts on this page (my computer again!) so wanted to say I wonder when you put the numbers out there, you just said & of posts! If I may add to that, # OF WONDERFUL CARDS YOU SHOWED US, AND A FEW OTHER OBJECTS! I love your blog!

You & hubby are so cute!
Thanks for recent comments on my little blog.
Hugs, Pat

Joanne (jojot) said...

such a bright and happy beach card....love the pail....the dps.....just love it all

Anita said...

This is so bright and cheerful. Love it! Enjoy your company.

Mona Pendleton said...

So cute Emily! Love the bold and bright color combo!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Oh Emily, how cute!!! I love the beach scene you've created... totally makes me SMILE! Thank you so much for playing in our challenge!

Hugs,
Lisa

Emily Leiphart said...

This card is beautiful and so cool, Emily! It makes me want to head to the beach. I love it!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Emily! Thanks once again for linking up to the Stamp It! Cards Week challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I've loved seeing all your entires! :)

~amy~ said...

LOVE it..you know me and bright colors! Thanks for playing with us over The Craft's Meow!

Unknown said...

Emily, this card is just too cute. I love the beach scene, and you color are just fantastic....